Wednesday 26 November 2014

Sally Bowles Idea 1: Plastic Drag Queen


Whilst researching ideas for my contemporary design, I came across many images of cross dressing Club Kids and Blitz Kids. I then came across images of Amanda Lepore who I previously had not heard of. She inspired me to create a version of Sally obsessed with looking good all the time and willing to take any measures (surgical or otherwise) to ensure she has the looks to make it as a famous actress. I was also inspired my Michael Aligs dream for the club kids, where everyone could be exactly who they wanted to be. This led me to my idea of Sally Bowles as a Drag Queen. Sally Bowles is her stage name as a cabaret performer who is obsessed with her looks as part of her fame hungry persona. Nothing is ever too much, and she will do or wear whatever to draw as much attention to herself. She is very audacious and exasperating at times, but has certain naive, childlike qualities that are part of her charm and make her irresistible.








No comments:

Post a Comment