Wednesday 5 November 2014

Eyebrow blocking and Makeup Experimentation


After my presentation, I decided to choose my second design to create my historical version of Fraulein Kost. Although the makeup is quite simple, I felt it would be appropriate to the era and to her age. I did however want to experiment a little with eyebrow blocking and recreating eyebrow shapes. I also wanted to try out a few different lip colours, as that was one of the suggestions made when I presented my idea.





I started off by blocking my eyebrow. To do this I used a glue stick, a spoolie and my Secret Camouflage concealer by Laura Mercier. I chose this concealer, as it has two tones of concealer; an orange based one and a yellow based lighter one. I first brushed my eyebrows through with the spoolie and then ran the glue stick over them to flatten then against my brow bone. Once I was happy with how flat they were, I used the orange toned concealer over the entire brow in order to start blocking out the natural brow. My eyebrows are quite dark, so this took quite a bit of practice and a lot of concealer! When I was happy with the coverage, I used the yellow toned side of my concealer to balance the colour and make it look more like my actual skin tone. Once I was happy with the colour, I set them using a translucent setting powder. I then used a black gel liner to draw on my eyebrow using an angled brush.  I started off by trying quite an arched brow, as you can see in the next few pictures. I found this a bit too theatrical and it ended up looking a bit drag/ evil villain rather than historical! I also experimented with a deep red lip, which I quite liked, but in combination with the eyebrow it was a bit too theatrical.



I then decided to switch to a pinker lip, as pink was a very popular colour at the time. I did however find it looked a bit too plain, and I think the shade of pink I used was too contemporary and ended up looking quite barbie-like.




I then tried a slightly less arched brow. I still wanted to keep the boldness of the brow and the definition, so I tried a slightly more rounded shape. I liked this one a lot more as it just didn't look as harsh and was more appropriate to my chosen character. It was also a bit more historically accurate although I think I need to work on the size of the brow. I found that when I blocked out the brow it was quite easy to go crazy with the shape and length so its just a matter of toning them down to the appropriate size. 








No comments:

Post a Comment